Monday, December 6, 2010

South Africa ... Going to the Birds

In November, 2010 I went to South Africa on a bird watching trip I had purchased in a PRBO (Point Reyes Bird Observatory) silent auction.  The tour was with Rockjumper and I was accompanied by my brother and sister-in-law, two friends and three hard core birders.  Here are some of my images:



Hippo with Calf Resting on River Bank

Boys Will Be Boys: Baby Baboons at Play

Black Swan

Korhaan with Lunch

Boomslang: South Africa's Most Poisonous Snake

African Buffalo

Glossy Starling

Elephant Cow and Calf

Young Waterbucks Going Head to Head

Fruit Bats with Babies Wrapped in Their Wings

Giant Kingfisher

Giraffe

Ground Woodpecker

Hadeda: the Sound of Southern Africa

Yellow-throated Long Claw

Hippo Yawning

Impala

Kudu

Lilac Breasted Roller: My Favorite Bird


Malachite Sunbird

Male Baboon

Pin-tailed Whydah Bird

Resting Steenbok

White Rhino and African Buffalo

Sentinel Rock-Thrush

Juvenile Southern Double Collared Sunbird

Standing Steenbok

Male Vervet Monkey in "Breeding Plumage"

Family of Warthogs

White Rhino

Wildebeests
Here are some pics from a recent birding trip to Eastern South Africa and the Cape

2 comments:

  1. national geographic? world wildlife fund?
    i love the fruitbats and baboon boys...wow what a gorgeous travelog. did i say you are a lucky duck? congratulations! kiki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Vicki,
    you're taking truly amazing photographs. Congrats! Do you do this professionally? If not, you should at least consider the idea.
    I got here to your blog while browsing for a picture of malachite sunbird. I found the one you took just fantastic and perfect for what I was looking for. I'd like to use it for my personal needs and therefore first I should ask you if you wouldn't mind. The photography would serve as a cover for my website, a travel blog about my next journey to Southeast Asia. It's totally personal, non-commercial project, similar to http://norsemen.rao.pl/ or http://kukushka.rao.pl/. The journey will be titled "nectarinia" this time :)
    I hope you'll agree. Thanks in advance for consideration.
    And once again - congrats for your talent and the great portfolio.
    Cheers, Adam

    ReplyDelete